Don’t like filling forms?
Here are our contact details.
By PhoneEnquiries: 1300 312 354 Customer Service: 1300 600 664 Jobs: 1300 859 616
By EmailEnquiries: email@example.com Customer Service: firstname.lastname@example.org Employment: email@example.com
By PostSydney Level 8 253 Oxford St Bondi Junction NSW 2022 Melbourne Level 9 440 Collins St Melbourne VIC 3000 Brisbane Level 19 10 Eagle Street Brisbane, QLD 4000
Year 9 English
- What’s new in Yr 9 English?
- Main content of Yr 9 English?
- Common challenges for students in Yr 9 English?
- Main outcomes for Yr 9 English?
- Most important concepts to ensure your child understands in Yr 9 English?
- If you chose to get a tutor, study habits and content to focus on in Yr 9 English?
- Main challenges involved in tutoring a Yr 9 English student?
- Some good ideas on how to help your child in Yr 9 English?
What’s new in Year 9 English?
In year 9, students begin to present their own arguments based on an analysis of a text. They write imaginative, informative, and persuasive texts which may involve the use of images and sound. Students investigate and experiment with language features such as extended metaphors and symbolism in a variety of text forms such as poetry and plays. Using interaction skills, students discuss an idea using techniques such as persuasive language, changing voice tone, music and sound effects in order to persuade the audience. In year 9, students review their own and others’ texts, looking at how to improve the organisation, paragraphing, vocabulary, and sentence structure.
Main content of Year 9 English
The core contents of year 9 English are:
- Analysis and interpretation of texts including text structure, images, vocabulary choice, and language features,
- Use of various language features and images to create meaning,
- Response to issues in the form of texts that interpret and use ideas from other texts,
- Presenting, discussing, and evaluating responses to ideas and issues,
- Persuasive writing involving the use of effect, selective use of vocabulary and grammar, and accurate spelling and punctuation.
Common challenges for students in Year 9 English
A common challenge at this year level is being able to put forward a point of view based on an interpretation of a text. Knowing how to structure an essay of this kind with the right amount of detail and evidence is a common area of difficulty.
Main outcomes for Year 9 English
By the end of year 9 English, students should be able to:
- Analyse how the structure of a text can be used for effect,
- Form their own interpretations of texts based on an evaluation of the ideas and information contained in the texts,
- Create different levels of meaning by using a variety of language features,
- Understand how interpretations of texts can vary by comparing their own response to the responses of others,
- Create texts that respond to issues,
- Make presentations and actively contribute to class discussions,
- Make use of vocabulary and grammar for effect, and
- Use accurate punctuation and spelling.
Most important concepts to ensure your child understands in Year 9 English
In year 9, your child needs to move beyond text analysis to begin formulating their own arguments based on ideas and information found in the text. This sets the foundation for senior years English where students will need to put forth their own point of view in text response essays.
Another important foundational skill your child needs to develop is being able to respond to issues and current affairs. This includes being able to understand the different viewpoints involved, being able to summarise the information, as well as having an opinion on the issue and persuasively presenting this opinion.
If hiring a tutor, what study habits and content to focus on in Year 9 English?
Ezy Maths tutors should help your child become an independent learner. Look for a tutor that can show your child how to do the specific task, such as find important ideas in a text, and then allows the child to have a go as well.
Main challenges involved in tutoring a Year 9 English student
Students in year 9 are expected to be able to create texts of increasing complexity. Understanding how to approach a major writing task can be a major stumbling block at this year level.
Some good ideas on how to help your child in Year 9 English
Encourage your child to read a variety of texts. While it is important that they read whatever they enjoy, exposing your child to books, magazines, or newspapers they wouldn’t normally read would help broaden their knowledge base. Also, watching current affairs programs and discussing issues will help your child develop understanding and form opinions.
At Ezy Maths Tutoring no matter what we will do everything in our power to help your child. Your child’s success is our success, and nothing takes precedence over that. We take pride in going the extra mile for our students every day.
The first call you make to us is a great wat for us to get to know each other, understand your perspective and learn about your child’s specific needs. Our first free tutoring session gives us the chance to meet you and your child. Here we can have an open, friendly discussion about your child’s goals and find out what you hope to accomplish with one of our tutors.
During this consultation, we conduct an obligation free assessment which allows us to understand your child’s learning style, personality type as well as academic strengths and weaknesses. From these results we can create a tailored program that helps us overcome any skill gaps that were identified. This program is unique to your child and will focus on areas that need to be improved. We can also help with all homework, test prep and assignments.
What they say about our tutoring:
I'm an older student studying nursing this term I had a maths calculation exam that required 100% to pass . As you can imagine I was "freaking out !!! " 100% are you crazy !!!!!! . Then I meet Lisa !! she was one of my favorite people !! she was punctual,organised , and willing to spend the extra time if needed ,Lisa researched and came up with numerous,exams ,test and quiz's and got me all sorted with all the necessary formulas that where need to get my brain working again . I actually believed I could do this . It was the happiest text I'd ever sent to notify Lisa I passed !! 100% Wow ,I would have not been able to do it with out Lisa's help .
We really like Mark, his communication style really suits Remy, and he is able to work out what she needs very quickly. We would love to stay with him until the end of the year. They are a good match. Thank you
Kyle seems v competent and determined. Zahara is paying full attention as she obviously wants to grasp maths
Yarra is very happy with Andrea, and I can already notice improvements :-) I expect Andrea to keep tutoring Yarra for a long time.
Michael has been great and the sessions have been productive. Uznar now feels she has caught up with the rest of the class.
I'm very impressed, and happy with the progress. Thank you