Year 8 English
The core contents of year 8 English are:
- Rhetorical devices and how they are used for persuasive effect,
- Writing longer, carefully structured paragraphs,
- The use and effect of embedded clauses and nominalisation,
- Interconnectedness of country, place, people, identity, and culture,
- Questioning the validity of content and the credibility of sources within texts,
- Creating imaginative, informative, and persuasive texts, taking care with vocabulary and including digital media where appropriate.
By the end of year 8 English, students should be able to:
- Question the reliability of information and sources,
- Actively participate in class discussions by listening and presenting their own arguments and ideas using language patterns for effect,
- Explain how language choices may be used to persuade an audience,
- Create and edit texts with consideration for the intended purpose and audience,
- Use correct grammar, selective vocabulary, and accurate spelling and punctuation.
Check your location, Find a Tutor
Find tutor 🔍
What they say about our tutoring
We are really happy with Hayoli as a tutor. I don’t like to compare but she is 100% better at explaining things than the last tutor. The difference is quite amazing actually. She is very efficient, just comes straight in and gets straight to work. No chit chat at all (which I don’t mind). She actually brings in resources that she thinks will help Amy and seems like she has…
Karina is lovely and I think she will work out just fine. Amelia is very happy with her and they seem to be getting along fine. I hadnt realised Amelia was so far behind, and am actually glad she asked me to find help.
Our philosophy to teaching is based upon a firm belief that every child can succeed at maths or any other subject, given the proper encouragement, motivation and tools. We believe that a tutor’s …